Holiday’s season! With all the baking that is happening in my kitchen for the past week I love to bring the balance and have smoothies to save my day or a giant salad. Especially I love making a large bowl of salad to bring with us along to the parties or gatherings with friends and family. Just add in a clean and lean protein like; grilled chicken, hemp seeds, raw sunflower/pumpkin seeds on top and you’re good to go. One of the options is a Caesar salad, my boy’s favourite. It’s all about the creamy and garlicky dressing of course and no bad stuff, guaranteed!
Organic romaine lettuce packed with nutrients: minerals (manganese, potassium, copper, and iron), vitamins (biotin, vitamin B1, and vitamin C), fiber, & phytonutrients. It is extremely high in water volume, hydrating your cells and contains vitamin A, vitamin K, folate and malybdenum. Fresh vegetables are very important when it comes to oxidized cholesterol from all this damaging oily and high in sugar meals we end up eating during the holiday season. Bring on these phytonutrients to clean the arteries and fiber, to maintain a healthy colon!
For the Caesar dressing here I’m using half a cup of raw organic cashews, pre-soaked for about 4 hours or overnight.
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, trimmed & chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or for 4 hrs
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt and pepper, adjust as necessary
- 1/4 cup water, add slowly until desired consistency reached (not too watery)
- Soak half a cup of cashews in a bowl of filtered water for 4 hrs or overnight
- Drain and rinse
- In the food processor add cashews, EVOO, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and water.
- Then add salt and pepper.
- Blend it all together until creamy consistency is reached.
- Remove the outer leaves and cut off the tips of the lettuce
- Chop the remaining lettuce into the small bite size
- Rinse and pat dry to remove the excess water
- Add dressing to the salad and toss until fully coated. Serve immediately.
- Top with organic Ezekiel sprouted oven toasted slice of loaf and cut into squares, just like croutons.