What I want to tell you about this salad, that it’s an amazing addition to any of the meals or makes a great snack sandwich on a toast, lettuce, or in a wrap. I have been making Chickpea Salad for the past year couple times a month, not sick of it yet, having it in the fridge and not being worried about getting hungry and eating the wrong thing, helped me avoid crushing on a high sugar loaded foods and I know it can help you too.
During the summer I used to include fresh chives from my garden into the recipe, but now during the winter adding fennel makes it taste so refreshing too. So what I am trying to say that, feel free to substitute or add different ingredients to this salad to create flavor you’re craving for!
A little nutritional information about the chickpeas, which are also go by name of garbanzo beans and why you should consider including these legumes in your day to day diet. Garbanzo beans contain high amount of fiber, which improves blood sugar levels, lowers bad cholesterol and improves the function of the digestive tract. When served with other high quality grains, chickpeas become a complete protein food. It contains vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene and minerals such as: iron, magnesium, copper, zinc and folic acid.
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas by Eden Organic rinsed or make your own
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 to 3 tbsp Earth Island Organic Vegenaise or make your own (see notes below)
- 1/2 juiced lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder or Herbamare original
- sea salt & ground pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas (keep the chickpea water to make your own mayonnaise, optional)
- Mash the chickpeas to desired consistency with a potato masher or by pulsing in the blender couple of times
- In a separate bowl mix all the ingredients together
- Store in the fridge, ready to eat during the week
- 3 tbsp liquid from the chickpeas, canned or home made
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- salt to taste
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Refrigerate to firm up