Here is a completely harmless way to eat your cake and feel healthy too! The base of this carrot cake can be easily made into a small balls, rolled in coconut flakes and frozen for anytime grab. But tomorrow it’s Easter long weekend, and I know there will be some sugar involved….maybe a lot, like tons of chocolate bunnies and candies in the eggs. I tend to make the raw, unprocessed, naturally sweetened desserts for the family’s get togethers a lot, and for my customers of course. It’s a great addition to the sweet table or a good replacement for the refined sugar desserts all together. I love watching surprised faces, after taking their first bite from any raw cake or treats.
The Carrot Cake’s base is super moist and has a good flavour, but the cashew cream takes it to the next level. I had some lavender buds laying around from the previous summer, and decided to add 1 tablespoon to the cream mix, plus sprinkled some more on top. The aroma is to die for. Don’t have lavender available, just do the cream without it tastes good both ways.
- 1 cup grated carrots or 3 medium carrots
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 cup cashews, presoaked 4 to 8 hrs
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tspn vanilla exrtact
- Optional, add 1 tbsp of lavender buds
- First soak one cup of raw cashews in the filtered water for 4 hrs or overnight in the fridge, strain & wash through
- Grate the carrots using small holes with cutting edge on the grater
- Make the carrot cake dough base by pulsing walnuts, dates and coconut flakes in a food processor until they come together
- Mix in the spices and add the grated carrots form dough, and spread it at the base of the removable round 6" pan
- Next place all cream ingredients into a high speed blender, I’m using Vitamix and blend until completely smooth
- Spread the cashew frosting on top of the carrot cake dough
- Tap the pan on the table gently to settle the filling in and get rid of the air bubbles
- Freeze overnight or for about 4 hours, then remove from pan & decorate or just serve it as it is!
- Decorate to your liking! I have used some lavender buds, Calendula petals and tiny energy balls.