Let me tell you how much we love deserts over here, especially if it’s made out of pure wholefoods and tons of super antioxidant rich berries. What’s really cool about raw cashew cheese cakes, that you can get as creative as you wish! Using either seasonal berries or frozen fruit in winter is the best, since it has been collected and frozen right after being picked up from the bush and still contain their nutrient value.
For the crust you really will need just a few ingredients; almonds, dates and dash of sea salt. I have used round cake pan with the removable bottom, 8-by 3-inch, but if you are using an intact pan, make sure to spread plastic wrap with edges hanging out for the easier removal after freezing…..to prevent scraping the cake out of the pan piece by piece, believe me I tried! Didn’t work so well, though it tasted amazing anyway.
Cashews are known for their healthy fat content and protein, by soaking them we make it more bio-available for our bodies for proper digestion and in this case for a better texture in this raw cake.
How to scrape a vanilla bean? Place the bean on a cutting board, split and open the pod lengthwise then scrape the seeds out. The aroma is just to die for!
Decorate your cake to win over the crowd, I mean your family or guests. They won’t believe how amazing this uncooked, dairy-free and gluten-free cheesecake can taste!!! By the way it makes a very satisfying breakfast without any guilt.
- Ingredients for the Crust
- 1 cup raw almonds, or any other nuts
- about 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Ingredients for the Filling
- 1 ½ cups soaked in filtered water raw cashews overnight
- 1 whole vanilla bean scraped or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raw coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup berries, I used raspberries (if using frozen, thaw first)
- 1 juiced lemon
- Use a food processor to combine almonds, dates and sea salt until the right consistency have been reached. You might like it more crunchy with some rough chopped pieces of nuts.
- Spread the mixture with fingers evenly along the bottom of the cake pan and set it aside.
- Melt coconut oil by placing it in a small glass jar or glass dish into a pot with a bit of water over small heat (don't use a microwave, it will totally denature any food from it's valuable nutrients)
- In a blender combine soaked and rinsed cashews, coconut oil, honey or maple syrup, lemon juice, scraped vanilla bean, thawed raspberries and blend well into a smoothly running mixture.
- Pour the filling on top of the crust and tap the pan on the counter couple of times to set the filling evenly.
- Now its time to freeze your cake until it's solid.
- Remove from the freezer about an hour before serving, I place it refrigerator just to make sure not to get the cake too soft.
- Top you frozen ready raw cashews cake with fresh raspberries and some blueberries for the most beautiful colorful look. Drizzle it with melted chocolate by melting 2 tbsp. of semi-sweet organic chocolate chips with 1 tsp on coconut oil and wallah there you have it!